Create and Configure SAN Storage Virtual Machine
This workflow will automate the creation and setup of a Storage Virtual Machine, targeted for SAN operations, serving FCP and iSCSI protocols. The workflow performs the below tasks based on the inputs provided by user:
· Creates the Storage Virtual Machine itself
· Configures the Storage Virtual Machine with allowed protocols, allowed aggregates for use, maximum volume count and DNS settings
· Sets up iSCSI and FCP services based on user choice
· Creates a management logical interface
· Enables the vsadmin user (or configures a new user for Storage Virtual Machine administration if user chooses to delegate the Storage Virtual Machine administration)
· Creates a iSCSI type portset for iSCSI logical interfaces
· Creates logical interfaces for iSCSI protocol on each node of the Cluster
· Adds iSCSI logical interfaces to iSCSI portset
· Creates a FCP type portset for FCP logical interfaces
· Creates logical interfaces for FCP protocol on each node of the cluster
· Adds FCP logical interfaces to FCP portset
In case Storage Virtual Machine administration is to be delegated, then the password for admin user needs to be set by creating the right credentials for the Storage Virtual Machine’s management LIF in WFA. The Workflow would access that password during execution while enabling/creating administration user for the Storage Virtual Machine. The credentials must be of type “ONTAP” for the IP of the management LIF. Users need to specify the username (possibly vsadmin) and the applicable password for that user as input to the workflow.
General input section:
The top section handles the cluster selection and naming of the new Storage Virtual Machine. All user inputs in this section are required.
1) Cluster: Clustered ONTAP storage system where the Storage Virtual Machine will be created. NOTE: Only clusters with a “SnapMirror” license enabled will be shown.
2) Storage Virtual Machine Name: Name for the Storage Virtual Machine we will create.
3) Root Volume Aggregate: Drop down showing all aggregates available in cluster in which we can create the root volume for our new Storage Virtual Machine. The list would be a tabular resource selection showing Aggregate name, Total size, Available Size and Volume count.
4) Language: Language code for the new Storage Virtual Machine.
5) IPSpace Name: Specifies the name of the Storage Virtual Machine's IPspace. This option is applicable only for clustered Data ONTAP 8.3.0 and later.
6) Do you want to configure iSCSI? : Check this if you want to configure iSCSI service.
7) Do you want to configure FCP? : Check this if you want to configure FCP service.
8) Do you want to delegate Storage Virtual Machine administration? : Check this if Storage Virtual Machine administration needs to be delegated.
iSCSI/FCP Details Input parameters:
The Protocol Details input section enables the relevant protocol upon request:
This section will only be enabled if you have chosen to configure iSCSI/FCP on this Storage Virtual Machine (selected ‘Do you want to configure iSCSI/FCP’ checkbox in User inputs section).
1) Number of Logical Interfaces per Node: The number of logical interfaces (LIFs) to be created for each cluster node (1-2). Ports/FCP Adapters of the node on which the logical interface need to be created would be automatically selected.
2) Logical Interface Starting Address: Starting address of the logical interface. This address would be incremented by one for each logical interface. Given IP address is incremented by one in the D subnet (A.B.C.D). When Class D reaches 255, Class C is incremented.
3) Broadcast Domain: Name of the broadcast domain from which ports should be selected for LIF creation. This option is applicable only for clustered Data ONTAP 8.3.0 and later.
4) Netmask: Netmask of the LIF.
5) Netmask Length: Netmask length of the LIF.
6) Route Gateway: Route Gateway of the LIF.
Delegation Details Input parameters:
The section handles delegation details of the Storage Virtual Machine administration. This section will only be enabled if you have chosen to delegate Storage Virtual Machine administration (selected ‘Do you want to delegate Storage Virtual Machine administration’ checkbox in User inputs section).
1) Storage Virtual Machine Administration User Name: User that would be the Storage Virtual Machine admin.
2) Management Logical Interface Address: IP of the management LIF.
3) Netmask: Netmask of the management LIF.
4) Netmask Length: Netmask length of the management LIF.
5) Route Gateway: IP of the Gateway of the management LIF.
6) Allowed Aggregates List: List of aggregates allowed for creating volumes that will be in this Storage Virtual Machine. Multi-select checkbox.
7) Max Volume count: Maximum number of volumes that can be created in that Storage Virtual Machine.
DNS Details Input parameters:
The DNS Details input section identifies the DNS to be used (If applicable):
1) DNS Domains: Comma separated list of DNS domain names (such as 'sales.bar.com') that the Storage Virtual Machine is to be associated with. The first domain is the one that the Storage Virtual Machine will belong to.
2) DNS Servers: Comma separated list of DNS servers.
The workflow will result in creating a new SAN Storage Virtual Machine in the cluster, with its root volume in the selected aggregate. Following that, FCP and iSCSI services as well as DNS settings would be set up. If delegation of the Storage Virtual Machine administration is desired, that may be achieved as well by delegating the admin rights to another user in the management LIF.